Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

One Who Knows

The 'AARP Boys" was one of the longest running threads on the now defunct J.J. Huddle message board. Hopefully, we can pick up some new posters on Yappi to add to the over 40 different individuals who have participated since December, 2001.

Although this thread generally discusses basketball and music (usually the "oldies") almost anything can be discussed. We welcome all to participate and hope that the same civility that has been displayed over the past 15-years will continue.

Much of the discussion is based upon where our discussions lead us during and after trivia quizzes. Again, almost anything goes and anyone may post a trivia quiz and/or add to the discussion.

I'll post a "Hoops and Rock" trivia quiz later today in an attempt to get the ball rolling.

Knowing this board it will be interesting to see what happens when some of the JJ folks give it a try...

Knowing this board it will be interesting to see what happens when some of the JJ folks give it a try...

Auggie - I hope you'll participate. Hey, anyone who is wise enough to use a screen name based on the legendary Auggie Bossu has got to give it a try. :)

Last edited:
The 'AARP Boys" was one of the longest running threads on the now defunct J.J. Huddle message board. Hopefully, we can pick up some new posters on Yappi to add to the over 40 different individuals who have participated since December, 2001 .......

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, One Who Knows.

Been there - done that. ;)

I think it will be fine.

We did pretty well at JJHuddle (at least on this same thread) for quite a while -- cordial, interesting, full of humor. I would think it'll all be good. One Who Knows is great at keeping things rolling in a friendly manner.

Looking forward to having you along, Auggie.

Monclova Steve, aka dorciepatrick

Hoops + Rock =
hi-res-b912469abcae4253c508cf518d1b6e43_crop_north.jpg

Auggie - I hope you'll participate. Hey, anyone who is wise enough to use a screen name based on the legendary Auggie Bossu has got to give it a try. :)

My bad, Auggie! I corrected the spelling above. You'd think that I'd be able to spell a guy's name correctly who lived in Maple Hts. and was a legend and roamed the sidelines for Benedictine for five decades.

As for Bill Walton, yes, he loved hoops and The Grateful Dead (and probably some other artificial enhancers). He's really something while announcing a game. You have absolutely no way of even guessing in which direction he'll go.

Glad to see that some of you have already posted. Hopefully, you'll participate in completing this Hoops-Rock Trivia Quiz.

Here are the rules: (1) NO Googling is permitted and (2) each poster is only permitted THREE guesses (until further notice). I'll update the quiz answers before tonight at midnight.

UPDATE posted at 10:34 pm (see below)

HOOPS - Players from the early 1970s - name the college they represented:

1. Jimmy Collins
2. Bubba Jones
3. "Corky" Calhoun
4. M.L. Carr
5. Reggie Royals
6. Richie Fuqua
7. Mike D'Antoni
8. Mike Bantom
9. Leonard Gray
10. John Fraley

Extra-Credit (Hoops):

A. What famous musician, born in Cleveland's "Little Italy" section was Digger Phelps' former father-in-law?
B. Who was the first African-American head basketball coach in the Big Ten?

MUSIC - One-Hit Wonders from the early 1970s - name the recording artist(s):
11. "Indiana Wants Me"
12. "Rose Garden"
13. "In the Summertime"
14. "Lay a Little Lovin' On Me"
15. "Yellow River"
16. "Mr. Big Stuff"
17. "Gone"
19. "Lovin' You"
20. "Rock On"

Extra-Credit (Music):

C. I had a one-hit wonder in the 1970s. I was also married to two music legends (Duane Eddy and Waylon Jennings). Who Am I?
D. Currently, I have my own TV show, but my late mother was the artist who recorded #19. Who Am I?

Good luck and each poster will probably be permitted more guesses after midnight tonight (Tuesday, 12:01 am). Check back for the update!

Last edited:
12. Lynn Anderson
20. David Essex
Extra Credit D. Maya Rudolph (daughter of singer Minnie Riperton)

LOL re Rock On. I actually liked the song when it came out, because its arrangement was quite different than most pop songs, and it was spacy-sounding when you had the headphones on. But our high school cheerleaders re-arranged it into a cheer, and I heard it so many times I kinda got sick of it. But now it's cool to hear the song again.

Interestingly, I just heard Rose Garden yesterday afternoon, on a local radio station that plays an eclectic mix of local shows - they were doing a show on music and current events in 1971, and it popped up.

My wife and I caught Lynn Anderson on the Lawrence Welk show a few months back. We did not know that she basically got her career start because of Welk.

Now we are that stage in life where we can appreciate the music and musicianship on the LW show better than we could when were kids and our parents insisted on watching that boring music show. And it's fun to see featured singers and players being interviewed and looking back (even if those bits were taped 10 years ago).

A pretty good start to our first trivia quiz. Monclova Steve, we'll be OK. We can always adjust the difficulty of the questions. For what it's worth, you have the distinction of answering the first question correctly on the new "AARP Boys" thread. :thumb: Also, thanks to kent16 for joining in on the quiz.

The following answers are correct and have been reflected on the original posting:

7. Mike D'Antoni, Marshall (kent16)
8. Mike Bantom, St. Joseph's (Monclova Steve)
12. "Rose Garden", Lynn Anderson (Zunardo)
20. "Rock On", David Essex (Zunardo)
Extra-Credit "D" - Maya Rudolph (Zunardo)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Last edited:
1. New Mexico? Was he with Archibald or Sam Lacy or is this even correct?
6. Oral Roberts. Didn't some player from the lead the country in scoring in about '70 - '73?.
3. Minnesota - ouch!

Zunardo - My son loves "Rock On". 'James Dean'

Richard Pryor has a great routine involving Minnie Riperton and her extremely high voice.

12. Lynn Anderson
20. David Essex
Extra Credit D. Maya Rudolph (daughter of singer Minnie Riperton)

Interestingly, I just heard Rose Garden yesterday afternoon, on a local radio station that plays an eclectic mix of local shows - they were doing a show on music and current events in 1971, and it popped up.

My wife and I caught Lynn Anderson on the Lawrence Welk show a few months back. We did not know that she basically got her career start because of Welk.

Now we are that stage in life where we can appreciate the music and musicianship on the LW show better than we could when were kids and our parents insisted on watching that boring music show. And it's fun to see featured singers and players being interviewed and looking back (even if those bits were taped 10 years ago).

Zunardo - I think that you're "spot on". Very few young people would have ever admitted to watching Lawrence Welk back in the old days. Now, who cares? It is interesting to see the origin of performers, regardless of the venue.

1. New Mexico? Was he with Archibald or Sam Lacy or is this even correct?
6. Oral Roberts. Didn't some player from the lead the country in scoring in about '70 - '73?.
3. Minnesota - ouch!

Zunardo - My son loves "Rock On". 'James Dean'

Richard Pryor has a great routine involving Minnie Riperton and her extremely high voice.

Bevo - You are extremely close on #1 Jimmy Collins, but no cigar. You are correct in identifying Oral Roberts as Richie Fuqua's school. He averaged 35.8 ppg as a junior, but his numbers did not count on the Division I records since Oral Roberts was an independent and did not have D-I status. As for #3, I believe you are confusing Corky Calhoun with Corky Taylor, the infamous Minnesota player involved in the public mugging of Ohio State's Luke Witte.

As is the standard procedure, Bevo's correct answer has been reflected on the original posting of the trivia questions.

11. "Indiana Wants Me" - R. Dean Taylor. Years ago, some colleagues at my summer job gave me a 3-CD set of 1970s hits as a "going-away" gag present.

Some great adds this evening:

Correct:
1. Jimmy Collins, New Mexico State (Bevo)
3. Corky Calhoun, Pennsylvania (coldshoulder)
11. "Indiana Wants Me", R. Dean Taylor (Mr. Slippery)
13. "In The Summer Time", Mungo Jerry (coldshoulder)

Incorrect:
9. Leonard Gray, Tennessee State
"B" Clem Haskins was a great guess, but incorrect

Pretty good participation on the "AARP Boys" first trivia quiz. The most recent update is below. Tonight at mid-night (Tuesday, 12:00 am), everyone is permitted THREE more guesses. Also, remember that Googling is still not permitted.

HOOPS - Players from the early 1970s - name the college they represented:

1. Jimmy Collins - New Mexico State (Bevo)
2. Bubba Jones, UNANSWERED
3. "Corky" Calhoun - Pennsylvania (coldshoulder)
4. M.L. Carr, UNANSWERED
5. Reggie Royals, UNANSWERED
6. Richie Fuqua, Oral Roberts (Bevo)
7. Mike D'Antoni, Marshall (kent16)
8. Mike Bantom, St. Joseph's (Monclova Steve)
9. Leonard Gray, Tennessee State is incorrect
10. John Fraley, UNANSWERED

Extra-Credit (Hoops):

A. What famous musician, born in Cleveland's "Little Italy" section was Digger Phelps' former father-in-law?
UNANSWERED
B. Who was the first African-American head basketball coach in the Big Ten?
A good guess, but Clem Haskins is incorrect

MUSIC - One-Hit Wonders from the early 1970s - name the recording artist(s):

11. "Indiana Wants Me", R. Dean Taylor (Mr. Slippery)
12. "Rose Garden", Lynn Anderson (Zunardo)
13. "In the Summertime", Mungo Jerry (coldshoulder)
14. "Lay a Little Lovin' On Me", UNANSWERED
15. "Yellow River", Lou Christie is incorrect
16. "Mr. Big Stuff", UNANSWERED
17. "Gone", UNANSWERED
19. "Lovin' You", Minnie Ripperton (80greyhound)
20. "Rock On", David Essex (Zunardo)

Extra-Credit (Music):

C. I had a one-hit wonder in the 1970s. I was also married to two music legends (Duane Eddy and Waylon Jennings). Who Am I?
UNANSWERED
D. Currently, I have my own TV show, but my late mother was the artist who recorded #19. Who Am I?
Maya Rudolph (Zunardo)

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Last edited:
15. Yellow River ... Lou Christi
19. Lovin' You ... Minnie Ripperton

Good work, 80greyhound! Minnie Ripperton is correct, but LOU Christie isn't the exact answer. I've added your correct answer to the 10:34 pm update.

Since you mentioned Lou Christie, however, here are a couple of interesting facts about him:
.....1. Christie's real name is Lugee Alfredo Giovanni Sacco
.....2. Lugee/Lou Christie is from the same area of Pittsburgh (Moon Twp.) as UK basketball coach, John Calipari.

Last edited: