Hoban Girl's Coach Reinstated

NBAFINEST1234

Heard from a current active player that the administration was forced to reinstate Callaghan due to parents complaints and booster taking a stand on not donating to the school unless he was reinstated.

Oh Yeah...parents with money run the show. The surgeon, CEOs, and attorney alums call the shots, especially to the AD. AND especially when their child isn't playing quite as much.

I'm a HOBAN alum, First hand experiences over and over and over....

NBAFINEST - There is some truth to that. A few freshman player parents complained to get Callahan back. One threatened to pull his money, the other threatened to move his kid to St V.
The larger issue is how was Callahan fired by administration, yet allowed to return three weeks later. This is the fourth coaching job he was fired from since 2007. This time he went begging to the development directors and larger money donors who overruled the President, Principal and Athletic Directors decision. The two referenced earlier are minnows in this pond. The big money ruled this one and saved Callahan once he went groveling.

NBAFINEST - There is some truth to that. A few freshman player parents complained to get Callahan back. One threatened to pull his money, the other threatened to move his kid to St V.
The larger issue is how was Callahan fired by administration, yet allowed to return three weeks later. This is the fourth coaching job he was fired from since 2007. This time he went begging to the development directors and larger money donors who overruled the President, Principal and Athletic Directors decision. The two referenced earlier are minnows in this pond. The big money ruled this one and saved Callahan once he went groveling.

So I guess I am unsure, is this coach wanted at Hoban, or does the majority want him out? One post seems to say parents make the decision to get coaches fired if their child does not play. And another suggests that the parents made the decision to get the coach back.

Are you talking the majority of votes if every individual had a single vote or the majority of voices/dollars/connections where some have louder voices/more money/better connections?

It is Catholic high school sports after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well the notion that he was fired to begin with is inaccurate. He resigned on his own then reconsidered, which led to the battle to get him reinstated. So this entire conversation is based off of faulty logic.

If a coach resigns own his own the school should be done with him. There are obvious issues with him wanting to step down in first place. Bringing him back keeps same issues around. Everything was fine when Sean Quinn was AD. Since then, drama and bad vibes...

Hoban is totally embarrassing and how they keep this facade up of being the best choice in Alron is such a joke. parents and big money making these decisions.

Why would Callaghan come back!? Shame on him. They did fire him, whether the official word was 'resignation' the current ad mayde the right decision to get rid of that maniac. Now the board and delmedico UNDERMINE everyone involved and bring the jack hole back?!?! This reeks of disjunction.

They ran orsini out to replace him with the wild, wild tryell, the run diesel out, they ran a really, really good boys volleyball coach out, they let a very good track coach go... All because of parent and booster pressure.

You can claim most catholic schools operate the same way, but this one takes the cake. And how they act all superior and holier than thou, they are a disgrace to sportsmanship and friendly competition.

The people of Hoban should be happy to have a coach of Callaghan's caliber. Is he intense... yes. Does he have extremely high expectations of his team... yes. Is he of the old school "yeller" type... yes. But you won't find someone who cares for and works harder for his players than Callaghan.

Hoban faithful - you already had one coach leave for Green a few years back. Be careful what you wish for. Maybe you should go more with the "every body plays" style that has gotten Walsh so far in the last few years.

Word is out in the feeder schools (CYO) about Cal's antics and his poor treatment of players. He could only muster 15 middle school players to his basketball camp this week.

Down from a high of 70+ four years ago.

Word is out in the feeder schools (CYO) about Cal's antics and his poor treatment of players. He could only muster 15 middle school players to his basketball camp this week.

Down from a high of 70+ four years ago.

The number of girls playing basketball is down in Akron CYO. More parishes combining with other parishes or parishes combining grades to even form a 7th-8th team.

Parishes which 5-7 years ago had 2 teams in a junior high grade for girls basketball were sending their couple of interested players to other parishes this year. Kind of like CYO football in Akron where any kids interested in playing at the older grades get merged into the St Sebastian All Saints program or the St Hilary program.

However, your point is well taken and your contention is probably accurate. Hoban may not have enough players try out to even field a freshman girls team.

http://www.jjhuddle.com/2008/04/04/callaghans-ousting-at-wadsworth-illustrates-disturbing-trend/

I'm noticing a trend with Callaghan. Canned from Wadsworth. Have fun when he is observed screaming at players. He's a goofball!

I feel terrible for Beiting and Beyer who had to deal with those parents in that meeting threatening them, verbally abusing them, and bragging about how they verbally abused them to everyone.

Wadsworth is doing pretty good without him wouldn't you say?

Am hearing Callaghan has another embarrassing episode brewing in his saga at Hoban? An Asst Coach, who he taught with at Wadsworth, was suspended at Wadsworth? Hoban removed all reference to him shortly thereafter. Anyone know why?

Am hearing Callaghan has another embarrassing episode brewing in his saga at Hoban? An Asst Coach, who he taught with at Wadsworth, was suspended at Wadsworth? Hoban removed all reference to him shortly thereafter. Anyone know why?

Any idea why he was suspended?

Are we going to hear about this Asst Coach and this saga? Can't throw that out there and leave us hanging!!!!

Asst coach was main girls basketball assistant at Hoban, plus was the girls golf coach there. He may have worked in the athletic dept. recently.

Wadsworth suspended him without comment, of course the kids all have their theories. The allegations seem to center around improper conduct for a teacher. Hoban appears in cover-up mode. They sent an email to their board but have yet to investigate much beyond same. They must be using the Penn State playbook for how to handle a scandal. Surprised Wadsworth hasn't issued something. Possibly investigating both sides of the story

Asst coach was main girls basketball assistant at Hoban, plus was the girls golf coach there. He may have worked in the athletic dept. recently.

Wadsworth suspended him without comment, of course the kids all have their theories. The allegations seem to center around improper conduct for a teacher. Hoban appears in cover-up mode. They sent an email to their board but have yet to investigate much beyond same. They must be using the Penn State playbook for how to handle a scandal. Surprised Wadsworth hasn't issued something. Possibly investigating both sides of the story

Was not the girls golf coach this year, just assistant GBB coach.

How/why would you care enough to have that information? It's no longer in the Hoban web site as this guy wasn't the girls golf coach this year.

The situation appears such that this guy did something he shouldn't have, lost (or otherwise left) his job at Wadsworth and Hoban girls basketball disassociated from him as well once they found out.

Unless there's more to it than that, Hoban's actions seem good enough to me and only those looking for axes to grind would continue the discussion.

And thank you Hoban2020 for bringing to light he is not with your girls BBall program either. See you just added to the conversation that you are trying keep quiet. This sounds much better than talking about your steroid problem with the football team.

And thank you Hoban2020 for bringing to light he is not with your girls BBall program either. See you just added to the conversation that you are trying keep quiet. This sounds much better than talking about your steroid problem with the football team.

Actually, my post was in reference to others commenting how Hoban was in 'cover-up mode'. Hoban doesn't appear to be covering anything up. It appears they appropriately addressed whatever happened.

I did not know of any problems with steroids and the football team. I am aware of a situation where a parent of a Hoban player had legal issues, not nothing related to the kids on the team - so I would say it's unfair to make that allegation toward the players.

Did Hoban have their own problems with this person or just acted on the Wadsworth alleged problem?