Predictions: Team That Will Advance to State

Brambleberry

Predictions thread for what teams will advance to the final 8 of division 1 and the final 4 of division 2.

My thoughts:

D1

S1: Moeller
S2: Elder

W1: Centerville
W2: Beavercreek

E1: Darby
E2: Westerville South

N1: Ignatius
N2: Jackson

D2

S: McNich
W: Alter
E: Dublin Scioto
N: Walsh

The closely contested matches I expect to see in regional finals would be:
X vs Elder
Beavercreek vs Lakota East
Westerville South vs Pick North
Jackson vs Ed
Dublin Scioto vs DeSales, St Charles, Mt Vernon

Pretty much nailed it on the head. I am up and down on Lakota East right now. They are not playing their best ball as of late, getting pummeled by Fenwick and St Xavier. But at the same token, Kuhlman could take over the match single handedly. Right now, I will say Beavercreek with the W2.

Also, something that I have been thinking about with the South region.... With the S1 and the E1 in a crash course for the semi finals, who says Moeller doesn't choose to go the S2 route to prevent the possibility of seeing Darby until the finals? Tonight seed meeting will be very interesting!

For D2, I have Alter. Nothing else matters IMO. They haven't dropped a set against a D2 team yet this year.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought the teams that get voted the 1st and 2nd seed were locked into the 1 and 2 seed in the bracket. Meaning Moeller would have to be in the S1 bracket and Elder would have to be in the S2 bracket. Then after that it is a free for all and teams can decide to be on whichever side of the bracket they choose

I don't see why the #1 couldn't choose their path? Seems like the #3 would be the one with all the power.

Exactly. I believe I've seen on here that you played for Elder in 2008? Why wouldn't Elder have taken the S2 bracket that year to stay away from Darby? I think it's set up that way to prevent games like that during the seed meeting, but in some cases it gives the 1 seed a disadvantage rather than the advantage they have earned throughout the season

True. I can see the reasons for both sides of the argument.. One side saying 'put off Darby for as long as you can' and the other side saying 'if you are gonna beat them, beat them early'

My comment initially came from asking a head coaching source from the south region and he stated that the #1 could choose. I will see if I can get an answer from someone else.

I see where it would seem as if the 1 and 2 automatically get placed, but I would think that #1 should get the option

I also agree mostly with TheDude. The thing is, if the 1's chose which bracket they could go to you might still end up with the same matchups for the state tournament. This eliminates uncertainty until the state tournament begins. I wouldn't say the three has all the power because they are still the third best team in the region, and will have the toughest time in the region. I would word it by saying the 2 is the worst slot to be in. Although I personally think the 2 in the south this year, is better off than the one. Good topic!

I would prefer to place teams based on the seed meeting rather than teams getting to choose which side of the bracket they are placed on. It has happened before between X, Moe, and Elder where one of them gets the 1 seed, then the 2 seed goes on the opposite bracket. Then the 3 seed feels better about their chances against the 1 and takes that side. The bracket and seeding should be set up such that the 1 seed should be rewarded with an "easier" path to state, rather than the 3 seed getting the choice of who to play.

Once you get there, I've heard talk of re-seeding the 8 teams. I'm not sure if I have a strong opinion one way or the other. I see the pro's and con's of re-seeding vs not. Just bringing up that there has been a discussion on this before. I think just rotating which regions play each other in the first round is good enough for me

I would prefer to place teams based on the seed meeting rather than teams getting to choose which side of the bracket they are placed on. It has happened before between X, Moe, and Elder where one of them gets the 1 seed, then the 2 seed goes on the opposite bracket. Then the 3 seed feels better about their chances against the 1 and takes that side. The bracket and seeding should be set up such that the 1 seed should be rewarded with an "easier" path to state, rather than the 3 seed getting the choice of who to play.

Once you get there, I've heard talk of re-seeding the 8 teams. I'm not sure if I have a strong opinion one way or the other. I see the pro's and con's of re-seeding vs not. Just bringing up that there has been a discussion on this before. I think just rotating which regions play each other in the first round is good enough for me

It is definitely something that can be improved upon. I think the idea of re-seeding is the most 'fair' to the teams that have succeeded in the actual season, but at the same time, I do not want to see that.

IMO, (with the South region being the example) it should be

S1 vs Winner of S8/S9
S4 vs Winner of S5/S12

S2 vs Winner of S7/S10
S3 vs Winner of S6/S11

Then.. S1 vs S4 and S2 vs S3

Similar to the NCAA tournament. All of this pick and choose your path is a little over the top and ridiculous IMO

Choosing where you get to go as the 1 is a slippery slope... What if Darby gets the 1 and selects to take the 2 spot first, and Moeller does the same. Both trying to set up a Darby Moeller finals and they match up in the same spot where they are now. There would be a lot of game play going on with the brackets!

I may be wrong on this, but I thought the teams that get voted the 1st and 2nd seed were locked into the 1 and 2 seed in the bracket. Meaning Moeller would have to be in the S1 bracket and Elder would have to be in the S2 bracket. Then after that it is a free for all and teams can decide to be on whichever side of the bracket they choose

That was my understanding as well. Also, it has been mentioned that this year's state bracket will be the same as 2013. Still with 8 teams wouldn't the rotation be 6 years and not 3. For instance:

2010:
N1/S2 E1/W2 on one side
S1/N2 W1/E2 on the other

2013:
N1/S2 W1/E2 on one side
S1/N2 E1/W2 on the other

So Moeller who is likely S1 would avoid Darby in the semifinals if the rotation holds because it would be the same as 2010 not 2013.

I also agree mostly with TheDude. The thing is, if the 1's chose which bracket they could go to you might still end up with the same matchups for the state tournament. This eliminates uncertainty until the state tournament begins. I wouldn't say the three has all the power because they are still the third best team in the region, and will have the toughest time in the region. I would word it by saying the 2 is the worst slot to be in. Although I personally think the 2 in the south this year, is better off than the one. Good topic!

There isn't any uncertainty. The State Quarterfinal Bracket is already put together and rotated yearly. This year the South gets the North in Round 1 and the East gets the West. After that the only uncertainty is which matchups are the semifinals. That should be known by all the coaches/teams (the uncertainty is with us) and if the rotation holds true, it should be as I posted above:
N1/S2 E1/W2 on one side
S1/N2 W1/E2 on the other

Choosing where you get to go as the 1 is a slippery slope... What if Darby gets the 1 and selects to take the 2 spot first, and Moeller does the same. Both trying to set up a Darby Moeller finals and they match up in the same spot where they are now. There would be a lot of game play going on with the brackets!

Here's the problem I see with the 1s choosing their bracket:
-Moeller chooses #2, Ignatius chooses #1.
-Darby choose #2, Centerville chooses #1.
Now your top ranked teams from each Region are playing each other in the Quarterfinal.

That is why I believe wherever the #1 ends up that is deemed Region1 and the other is Region2.

I agree that it seems pretty ridiculous. Maybe it is the case that the top two teams are placed no matter what. I will have to verify with my source.

But it will all be determined here soon so we won't have to wonder any longer

I guess another option would be to see where the top 4 are at the end of the season (using rankings) and place the regions such that the #1 overall wouldn't run into #2 overall until the final, if everything fell into place.

Darby #1 - E1
Moeller #2 - S1
Ignatius #4 - N1
Centerville #6 - W1

Using this week's rankings, have E1 vs W1 and N1 vs. S1 in the semis (projected only, of course -- as if there were no upsets). You could go E1 vs W2, W1 vs E2, N1 vs. S2 and S1 vs. N2 in the quarters.

I guess another option would be to see where the top 4 are at the end of the season (using rankings) and place the regions such that the #1 overall wouldn't run into #2 overall until the final, if everything fell into place.

Darby #1 - E1
Moeller #2 - S1
Ignatius #4 - N1
Centerville #6 - W1

Using this week's rankings, have E1 vs W1 and N1 vs. S1 in the semis (projected only, of course -- as if there were no upsets). You could go E1 vs W2, W1 vs E2, N1 vs. S2 and S1 vs. N2 in the quarters.

Taking a step further and seeding top 2 from each region....

Darby #1 - E1
Moeller #2 - S1
Ignatius #4 - N1
Centerville #6 - W1

Elder #3 - S2
Pick North #7 - E2
Beavercreek #9 - W2
Jackson #10 - N2

E1
N2

W1
S2

S1
W2

N1
E2

The brackets could be drawn up before the tournament starts. Say Olentangy or Westerville North plays the match of their lives and upsets Hilliard Darby along the way, the N2 rep would "benefit" by getting to play Olentangy or Westerville North in the quarters.

Looks like Moeller will be heading through the S1 side.

Top 6 from the South:

Moeller
Elder
St Xavier
Mason
LaSalle
Oak Hills

I will post full South bracket when received, but I do know that both LaSalle and Oak Hills will be playing into Mason.

Darby #1 - E1
Moeller #2 - S1
Ignatius #4 - N1
Centerville #6 - W1

Under this format you could have two teams from the same region squaring off in the state semifinal. It's clear they try to avoid this at least until the Finals, so changing the Semifinal matchups would make that occur more often.

From his post, I would assume:

Moe, Mason, Lasalle, and Oak Hills are in S1
Then Elder and X in S2

Sounds like X had their choice between Elder and Moeller and went with Elder. Any idea where the regional finals are this year in the South?

South #1

(1) Moeller vs winner of (11) Sycamore / (12) Colerain

(4) Mason vs winner of (5) LaSalle / (6) Oak Hills

South #2

(2) Elder vs winner of (9) Princeton / (10) Milford

(3) St Xavier vs winner of (7) Fairfield / (8) Loveland

To finish the talk before, #1 and #2 have to go where they are, but the seeds there on get to choose where they are placed. Brambleberry was correct on that one.

In keeping with the OP here's who I have advancing to Columbus:

D1
N1 - St Ignatius
N2 - St Edward - I think the experience of knowing how to win in May helps them get past Jackson

E1 - Hilliard Darby
E2 - Pickerington North - they'll have the best player on the court against Westerville South

W1 - Centerville
W2 - Beavercreek - again experience here trumps the other contenders (mainly Lakota East)

S1 - Moeller
S2 - Elder/X winner - Leaning towards Elder about 70/30 after their win the other night but X could figure things out and start playing like they did earlier in the year

D2 - not that it matters as Alter should win easily
N1 - Walsh Jesuit
E1 - St Charles
W1 - Alter
S1 - McNicholas