Centerville Elite Tournament

adselder09

Coaches poll is out for this week and typically that order is used for seeding in the Elite. If that method holds true, here are the matchups we're looking at:

1. Moeller vs. 8. St Edward
4. Elder vs. 5 Centerville

2. Hilliard Darby vs. 7. Pickerington North
3. St Xavier vs. 6. St Ignatius

Thought? Predictions? Have at it.

1st Round

Moe in 3
Centerville in 5
Darby in 3
X in 4

2nd Round

Moe over Centerville in 4
Darby over X in 3

Elder over St Ed in 3
Ignatius over Pick North in 4

Round 3

Moeller over Darby in 5

Centerville over X in 5

Elder over Ignatius in 4

Pick North over Ed in 3

Should be a great tournament. Could very well be 7 out of 8 of these teams to make the division 1 state tournament

Moeller vs. St. Edward Moeller in 3
Elder vs. Centerville Elder in 4

Darby vs. Pickerington North Darby in 3
St. X vs. St. Ignatius St. X in 3 maybe 4

Moeller vs. Elder Moeller in 4
Darby vs. St. X Darby in 4

Moeller vs. Darby (Very tough), Moeller in 5

1st - Moeller
2nd - Darby
3rd - Elder
4th - St. Xavier
5th - Centerville
6th - St. Ignatius
7th - Pickerington North
8th - St. Edward

Moeller in 3
Centerville in 5
Darby in 3
St. X in 3

I think that the finals will be between Moeller and Darby. Although Moeller has been playing great recently, I think that Darby will get the win based off of their last match up with Moeller where they won in 4.

I think that the finals will be between Moeller and Darby. Although Moeller has been playing great recently, I think that Darby will get the win based off of their last match up with Moeller where they won in 4.

I disagree. You cannot define a team by a single game, and Moeller has changed significantly since their loss to Darby. Based on how Moeller has easily taken care of high level teams (St.X, Walsh, Centerville, Elder, and Alter) in recent games, they have clearly proven they are the top team in Ohio at the moment. Darby's frankly unimpressive schedule can't say the same about their team.

I disagree. You cannot define a team by a single game, and Moeller has changed significantly since their loss to Darby. Based on how Moeller has easily taken care of high level teams (St.X, Walsh, Centerville, Elder, and Alter) in recent games, they have clearly proven they are the top team in Ohio at the moment. Darby's frankly unimpressive schedule can't say the same about their team.

Very true. I think the game to watch will be the Moeller vs. Elder match on Thursday as it will most likely be indicative of how both teams will play in Centerville Elite. Playing a tough team before the tournament will show if Moeller can maintain their recent momentum shift.

Do you really think Elder will be that tough of a matchup for them? I predict moe in 3 easily. I have seen elder play and wasn't impressed. Anyone else?

Do you really think Elder will be that tough of a matchup for them? I predict moe in 3 easily. I have seen elder play and wasn't impressed. Anyone else?

Against who? I've seen them look scary good against Moeller and seen them play their worst against X.

I think Moeller may be peaking too early. There's still a lot of ball to be played. At any rate, a league match is always tough.

I don't think enough consideration has been given to the fact that the reason Moeller struggled against Darby was the fact that it was against Darby. It's seems all the more impressive that Darby went down to Moe's gym and took Moe's big punch in the first set and then beat them 3 straight sets. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game against Darby was a defeat - Darby is huge up front and defend the net very well, in addition to have the best setter in the state. Should be fun this weekend!!

I think the current state rankings are right for the most part with Moeller and Darby being interchangeable at 1 and 2. Both teams have talent at every position, but Moeller is definitely a different team from the last time they met. I think St. X, Elder, and Centerville have a lot of potential to prove something during this tournament. I don't think everyone should hop on the Moeller bandwagon just yet just because they won the SPT tournament considering Darby and St.X weren't in the tournament. Centerville Elite will be interesting because no team has been consistent against good talent this year.

Moeller was firing on all cylinders last week. No wonder people are jumping on after the week and weekend they had, but you're right. Any of the top 5 could get hot and win this tournament.

I waited until after the Moeller-X match to make my predictions for the SFT tournament and will do the same since Elder visits Moeller today.

It also helps that Moeller plays Eds first, while other teams will have first round battles. Best of luck to everyone this weekend!

Man Eds is struggling this year. Will they even make it to state or will we finally see a newcomer from the North?

I have Moeller in an easy 3 vs Elder tonight

Really? Define easy. I know Wernery missed the first match which Elder won in 3, though I wouldn't define it easy by any means since they trailed in the first two games late. The only one that was "easy" was game 3 which Elder led the entire game.

Epic match going on in the GCL tonight. Going to game 5, Moeller takes 1 and 4, 25-22, 25-23. Elder takes 2 and 3, 25-23, 27-25. So much for 3 easy ones...

Moeller takes Game 5, 15-8. Wernery served 7 points in a row at one point taking Moe from down 7-6 on a sideout to 13-8. Most of them being aces. Elder got caught in a horrible rotation and tried to make an adjustment but it was too little too late. Elder led 7-5 with serve at one point. Their inability to finish games lost them this match. They led late in the first 3 games. What a match though.

Wow! What a great match! Sounds like a battle. My apologies on the 3 easy games comment. That would have been a great match to see!

Wow! What a great match! Sounds like a battle. My apologies on the 3 easy games comment. That would have been a great match to see!

They had it broadcasted online on ohsbvabroadcasts.com

For future reference, they have a match of the week every week on there.

My picks:

Moeller over Eds in 3
Elder over Centerville in 4
Darby over Pick North in 3
X over Ignatius in 3

Moeller over Elder in 4
Darby over X in 4
Centerville over Eds in 3
Ignatius over Pick North in 4

Darby over Moeller in 4
Elder over X in 5
Centerville over Ignatius in 4
Pick North over Eds in 4

Update so far:

Elder takes first two from Centerville 25-21, 27-25

Ignatius takes first game from X.

Moeller was leading in game 2, 18-10.

Darby leading in their first match.

Last edited:
Elder takes out Centerville in 3, blew 'em out in game 3.

X takes game 3, but still down 2-1 to Ignatius.

Moeller takes out Eds in 3.

Darby wins in 3 over North.

Ignatius comes back from 13-11 to take 15-14 lead in game 5. Ignatius had an overpass for the win that they miss-hit and X kept it alive to tie at 15. Still tied at 18.