Magics Basketball 2015-2016

jbica001

With Magic Madness tomorrow night (Friday, November 6) and the first set a scrimmages on Saturday November 7, I thought it was time to talk some Magics Basketball. Who are the standouts on this years team? What is there schedule? What should we expect from this years team?

I do not think this once proud program will ever get back to winning... The old people are dying off and are getting replaced by projects.

Team is average and will finish around .500. Stands are empty as excitement for this team has fallen off over last couple of years. At this point, Barberton is a football town. Rector may be a good coach, but has he become stale to these kids and this community? Does a change need to be made?

it is sad to see this happening to the basketball program, while its not Rector's fault. A change would probably be good, if they hired the right guy.. that said, in no way should Rector be fired, my bet is once his son is done playing, he will move on to an AD position at BHS or elsewhere. At that point, I would like to see someone hired who is young and energetic and gets AAU basketball and understands how to not let players leave for St. V and elsewhere. With the gym, there is no reason Barberton should not be a destination for talent to flock to, but you have to win and you have to want to win. Things missing in Barberton for some time now.

Team is average and will finish around .500. Stands are empty as excitement for this team has fallen off over last couple of years. At this point, Barberton is a football town. Rector may be a good coach, but has he become stale to these kids and this community? Does a change need to be made?

I don't think being above .500 for one year with a very weak schedule makes Barberton a football town. When I think of football towns I think of Massillon or Steubenville. I'm not from Barberton but when I think of Barberton the only thing that comes to mind is basketball and chicken. I think about how impossible it was for teams coming into Greynolds Gym, pressing the visiting team into oblivion, the fundamentally sound teams Greynolds had. Football, not so much.

I don't think being above .500 for one year with a very weak schedule makes Barberton a football town. When I think of football towns I think of Massillon or Steubenville. I'm not from Barberton but when I think of Barberton the only thing that comes to mind is basketball and chicken. I think about how impossible it was for teams coming into Greynolds Gym, pressing the visiting team into oblivion, the fundamentally sound teams Greynolds had. Football, not so much.

Its funny but the football teams during the Greynolds era were very strong. Just lacked the postseason format.

Bica is correct though. All it takes is for one season for things to change. All you have to do is look at the stadium this past football season and compare it with the Gym this Basketball season. The football stadium was packed every week and we traveled by the thousands to away games. Unfortunately, like last season, the gym is half empty for basketball.

Why? because most people live in the moment. The football team won this year so people went to see them. The basketball team is coming off two losing seasons so the turnout is weak.

Okay first off the crowd has been very live for basketball game. Second they fight harder then most teams in the last few years. A rough start but now 3-2 on a 2 game winning streak playing strong behind 7 seniors. They needed alittle time to get things going but will finish way above .500. Especially having a strong young guard in Zane Ries and a older guards. They have 7 seniors that have played with eachother since mini magics such as Jeff Woolridge, Buzz Walker and Brandyn Miller once these 4 get this team rolling like we've seen the last 2 games this team can be very dangerous. They play hard and they will prove a lot of people wrong this year best group of kids in awhile on and off the court.

Okay first off the crowd has been very live for basketball game. Second they fight harder then most teams in the last few years. A rough start but now 3-2 on a 2 game winning streak playing strong behind 7 seniors. They needed alittle time to get things going but will finish way above .500. Especially having a strong young guard in Zane Ries and a older guards. They have 7 seniors that have played with eachother since mini magics such as Jeff Woolridge, Buzz Walker and Brandyn Miller once these 4 get this team rolling like we've seen the last 2 games this team can be very dangerous. They play hard and they will prove a lot of people wrong this year best group of kids in awhile on and off the court.

I hope your right! I hope this team starts a winning streak, people get excited for the team and starts filling the stands. I work afternoon shift so I can't go to the games, so I need posters to keep this thread up to date on how the team is doing and how well the players are performing.

I believe Rector is just waiting for his son to graduate. Perhaps Greynolds Jr can finally take his shot at coaching the Magics. That would infuse the program with some excitement for a few years anyway.

How was the Magics crowd for the Greynolds Classic? I understood bringing in Linden McKinley for nostalgic purposes but it's a charity event. Why invite a team that brings a handful of fans??

I hope your right! I hope this team starts a winning streak, people get excited for the team and starts filling the stands. I work afternoon shift so I can't go to the games, so I need posters to keep this thread up to date on how the team is doing and how well the players are performing.

4-2 now on a 3 game winning streak and playing very impressive defense and great intensity I think we're gonna see a lot of people proved wrong

7-3 a strong outing against kent suddenly no one seems to be talking as much about this team not going .500 or better or making noise in the suburban league.

8-3 and won the Brooke classic in wv playing 2 teams that would have destroyed Copley who Barberton took a loss too but watch these seniors pick this group up and come up big finishing the season

Terrible post, Copley would of ran both them teams off the court and we just got ran off the court by highland... How can you even make a claim like that. Copley is killing everyone they play... This team is a tad better then the last two, it's still a bad team... I never thought I would see the day when Barberton can't beat teams from the sl. Growing up Barberton would of won this league 9 years out of ten.. It's sad

Terrible post, Copley would of ran both them teams off the court and we just got ran off the court by highland... How can you even make a claim like that. Copley is killing everyone they play... This team is a tad better then the last two, it's still a bad team... I never thought I would see the day when Barberton can't beat teams from the sl. Growing up Barberton would of won this league 9 years out of ten.. It's sad

You'll see next Friday when Copley plays at Barberton and there will be better refs and this Barberton team will get revenge and hand Copley a loss

You'll see next Friday when Copley plays at Barberton and there will be better refs and this Barberton team will get revenge and hand Copley a loss

Did i say Barberton couldn't beat Copley ?I don't think so.. Don't make comments that Barberton beat two teams that would of ran Copley off the court, that's a joke and I"M FROM BARBERTON so I hope Barberton beats Copley but seriously good luck..

And if you think Barberton is going to get better refs because the game is at Barberton then you're either clueless as or young...

Barberton is playing great ball by the way, just got ran off the court by highland but yet they are going to beat Copley..... Buzz, Rector and Ries better be raining 3's that night..

Will Terrell Mims be back for the Copley game ?

sad sad state...I long for the days where people actually showed up to games and the team on the court actually won