Water Polo - 2014 Season

In the past the only thing to close the outdoor pool has been lightening. They will just play through rain and cool temperatures. And they have the indoor pool that will keep going regardless of weather. Remember some years ago when a power outage on Sunday didn't stop play.

Hurricane Ike came through in 2008, and made for some very interesting outdoor polo.

The groups for the Ohio Cup are unbalanced. The red group with UA, St. Xavier & Chicago is loaded while the remaining groups have clear cut top teams. The same is true of the JV schedule. UA plays 2 strong JV teams while St. Charles gets a pass. Even with the deck stacked count on the varsity Bears to win their group and bring home the cup on Sunday. The JV Bears will also overcome the pairing and win the tournament. Go Bears!

rjones you are being unfair to the tournament committee and its seeding of the teams. Thomas (who beat UA) lost to both Pennsylvania teams. Huron is no. 4 in Michigan High School Rankings. And although the Chicago team won the Ohio cup several years back they have not been that strong recently. UA has a very good chance of coming out of their group into the championship bracket...but it is not a given. As usual you have applied your "Bears tunnel vision" to the situation. Looks like a great lineup for the tournament. The groups appear to be balanced. Hopefully, the out-of-staters will not dominate play. Looking for everyone to play well, good weather and competitive water polo. While its great to have out of state teams let's keep the Ohio Cup in Ohio! Good luck to all!!!

Agree with swimfan. rjones always complains how the bears get the short end of the stick. To me it appears that each bracket has an out of state competitor and one of the top teams in the state. After that, the teams are spread out. I don't see stx people complaining about the bracket. With the JV selections, he may have a point with ua having to play a stx team as well as the ann arbor team. I think everyone needs to stop thinking that the host team is trying to rig a bracket in their favor. Sometimes we think it, but your team still has to prove themselves. Each team should just do their best with the hand you are dealt with (just like in real life) and move one. One would think it is better to play a stronger team in the hopes that it helps your team get better. Thoughts?

The Ohio Cup was one of the best Tournaments we have ever attended. Game times were always on schedule, referees were fair, knowledgeable and kept the games in control.

Now, the direct opposite of the way the Ohio Cup Tournament is organized is the Beast of the East Tournament.

The B of E is run almost like a "Virtual Tournament", all information about the Tournament only shows up by an email sent a day or so before; your team then must quickly plan, accordingly!

1.) No one knows who 'really' runs it,
2.) Never ever has anyone seen a pre-game Bracket, because there is never one released,
3.) I hear that Coaches only get one email directing them to a first game venue,
4.) Nothing is known about where your team will play next,
5.) Parents are on an adventurous treasure hunt every year driving thru eastern Pennsylvania with younger siblings in-tow seeking out a Pool venue based on a just received text thru spotty cell-phone coverage,
6.) Good Luck in finding any information in order to plan Hotels.
7.) It is fun once you get to the pool, but everything in-between it is a logistical nightmare.
8.) Wow, after creating this list, I just figured out why it is called "The Beast of the East"!!

Last edited:
Wasn't able to make it to the Ohio Cup this year. Kudos to the twitter coverage -- especially SC's. Whoever is doing their twitter has a very entertaining play by play. Would like to see others providing play by play rather than game or quarterly updates -- although anything is better than nothing. Tournaments should consider providing coverage for each game (like the state tournament) rather than relying upon each team to cover.

Final Standings for Ohio Cup

Varsity:
1. Chicago
2. Cathedral Prep
3. Ann Arbor Huron
4. Mason
5. Thomas
6. St. X
7. SC
8. N. Allegheny
9. Sycamore
10. UA
11. St. F
12 Sylvania
13. Milford
14. Kilbourne
15. Princeton
16. Napoleon

JV:
1. SC
2. St. X
3. Oakwood
4. N. Allegheny

Looks like the seeding and group division was just right. The final 4 was made up of the top finishers in each group. So well done to the seeding committee on setting up the groups. Was a wonderful week end of polo!!!

Week day water polo:

Tuesday:

JV:
St. X 11, Milford 3

Varsity:
St. X 20, Milford 15
Mason 17, Sycamore 10

Wednesday:

JV:
SC 14, UA 9

Varsity:
SC 12, UA 11

Questionable victory by St. Charles. Refs gave them the winning goal even though time had expired. Should have gone to overtime where the Bears would have prevailed. Bears were dominant most of the game. Look out St. Charles next time as you will be facing angry Bears!

Much as I hate to agree with rjones, here's the video of the game and it does appear that the horn sounds before the tip. I would assume that means the ball is dead when the goalie's throw either lands or is touched. Maybe I am wrong about that. Would welcome an explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEO-1I4_eY&feature=youtu.be

If a defending player touches it and it ended up going it, its a goal.

If an offensive player deflects after a horn, its not a goal.

Appears that the tip is by SC player...game should have gone to overtime. To bad for UA, although SC did have the momentum going its way having scored 2 unanswered goals in the final minute ten of the game before the controversial goal.

So we're agreed...St. Charles needed the refs to beat UA. Dutchman, momentum would have gone to UA in overtime. Look out SC when next you meet the Bears. They won't allow you to get close so the refs can win it for you.

Yea, rjones it was a bad call...but that doesn't transfer into a win for UA. Remember the Bears had a 2 goal lead with just over a minute to go and couldn't hold it. Imagine they'll play again before the season ends. Anyway, it looks like Thomas may be the top team at this point. Mason has had their moments too. Like last year no team is dominating. Should make for an exciting state tournament as a number of teams if they get hot are capable of winning. Still like SC chances as it seems that Gear is continuing to tinker and has not decided on a final first line. Their depth is significantly greater than all other teams. They play in Michigan in the next weeks. It will be interesting to see how they do up there. St. Francis is doing their usual progression as the season goes on. Starting slow they played well last week end when they won their own tournament. Of course SC had split its squad and still managed a 2nd & 3rd finish.

Thomas seems under rated at number 4. Not sure that I would put SC number 1. Thomas beat them pretty handily in the Ohio Cup. They've also lost a couple of times to St. Francis and have yet to beat Sycamore. On the other hand, on different occasions they have split their team which may have effected the outcomes. I don't think anyone has beaten Thomas badly; they would be my pick for number 1.

Talk about underrated...how about Upper Arlington! Placing them at 5 is ridiculous. The only Ohio teams to beat them are Thomas in OT; St. X on a bad day for the Bears; and SC with a bad call! The only sillier placement of them was the last poll when they were 6th. Clearly they are badly underrated. I can only assume that the coaches are scoring them that low so they can avoid facing them in the tournament. Fortunately the state champion is decided in the water and not by a poll.

Looks like UA had another "bad" day Saturday as they fell to Sycamore & St.X in what were not particularly close games. Right now Thomas appears to be the best team in Ohio. Sycamore has been impressive the last few weeks. Since the Ohio Cup they have only lost to Thomas. They beat SC & UA during that time frame. They play X & Mason this week. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make some noise in the state tournament.

Sycamore has been impressive the last few weeks. Since the Ohio Cup they have only lost to Thomas. They beat SC & UA during that time frame. They play X & Mason this week. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make some noise in the state tournament.

Add X & Mason to the list of losses.

Tuesday: St. X 11, Sycamore 4; also: Napoleon 7, Sylvania 5
Wednesday: Mason 15, Sycamore 12; also: UA JV 15, Columbus Hawks 6

1 St. Charles
2 Mason
3 St. Xavier
4 Thomas Worthington
5 Upper Arlington
6 Sycamore
7 St. Francis
8 Milford
9 Worthington Kilbourne
10 Napoleon
11 Sylvania
12 Princeton
13 Oakwood
14 Perry

State rankings and seeds for the state tournament. Officials have also been assigned for states. Its playoff time.

1 St. Charles
2 Mason
3 St. Xavier
4 Thomas Worthington
5 Upper Arlington
6 Sycamore
7 St. Francis
8 Milford
9 Worthington Kilbourne
10 Napoleon
11 Sylvania
12 Princeton
13 Oakwood
14 Perry

State rankings and seeds for the state tournament. Officials have also been assigned for states. Its playoff time.

Very interesting. Wonder why Thomas is ranked down at 4. Is it because they've played a lot of out of state competition? I still think they should be ranked No. 1. I believe SC has yet to beat them this year.

Nonetheless, the rankings seem to reflect the respect the coaches have for a Geoff Gear's ability to have his teams playing their best at the end of the season. I don't know how strong the teams were at Saline this weekend but SC won all their games convincingly. This week end they are at Skyline in Ann Arbor and will play several ranked teams, including AA Huron and AA Skyline who I believe are ranked in the top 5 in Michigan. Those games should give an idea how good SC is at this point.

The way the brackets set up presumably SC and Thomas will meet in the semis if the seeding holds. Although St. Francis, UA and Sycamore are all capable of upsetting any of the top 4. With that said, we could have a repeat of last year's final - SC v. St. X. Certainly not an automatic but seems quite possible. Given the number of players on the rosters for SC & X this could be the story of high school polo in Ohio for the next few years. Both schools have enough players that they have been able to split their teams and participate in different locations at the same time during the season. Like other team sports when you have large numbers the depth and competition for playing time improves the performance of the team markedly. And the way the state tournament is set up this year (all in one week end) the ability to rest players for the later rounds is a decided advantage.

Very interesting. Wonder why Thomas is ranked down at 4. Is it because they've played a lot of out of state competition? I still think they should be ranked No. 1. I believe SC has yet to beat them this year.

Nonetheless, the rankings seem to reflect the respect the coaches have for a Geoff Gear's ability to have his teams playing their best at the end of the season. I don't know how strong the teams were at Saline this weekend but SC won all their games convincingly. This week end they are at Skyline in Ann Arbor and will play several ranked teams, including AA Huron and AA Skyline who I believe are ranked in the top 5 in Michigan. Those games should give an idea how good SC is at this point.

The way the brackets set up presumably SC and Thomas will meet in the semis if the seeding holds. Although St. Francis, UA and Sycamore are all capable of upsetting any of the top 4. With that said, we could have a repeat of last year's final - SC v. St. X. Certainly not an automatic but seems quite possible. Given the number of players on the rosters for SC & X this could be the story of high school polo in Ohio for the next few years. Both schools have enough players that they have been able to split their teams and participate in different locations at the same time during the season. Like other team sports when you have large numbers the depth and competition for playing time improves the performance of the team markedly. And the way the state tournament is set up this year (all in one week end) the ability to rest players for the later rounds is a decided advantage.

In a 2 day, 2 games a day tournament, the depth of the benches will have a little impact. In fact, you will want your starting group to get in some good minutes in the first game. Especially since none of those teams will have any games in over 2 weeks. Gotta knock the rust off.

Look at St. X - they play their first game of the tournament vs. a team that got a warm up game. First games that are tough games are a bit of a trap game. Sycamore (or Syl...) will have a warm up game at 1pm-2pm, then hang around from 2-4:15, get loose and then have a real game of the day. Winner of that game moves on to the Semi-Finals.

SC's first game will be against either Milford or Kil - not nearly that big of a game in comparison to a probably X vs. Syc game.

But either way, after each team plays that game, they are done for the day. You either advance to the Semi-Finals and are done, or you lose, and you're done until the next morning. Playing a more quality opponent requires more focus, and can put you in a good mood for a run.

I'll post my predictions this coming weekend with a breakdown as of why.