Varsity Boys Basketball non-league schedule...

Orangeman89

Heard the boys had a great summer!
Here's the non league portion of the 2013-2014 sked.

Nice to see some different teams and some home games!

Nov.30 Copley
Dec. 3 Tallmadge
Dec. 13 Barberton
Dec. 14 Kent Roosevelt
Dec. 27 @ Field
Dec. 28 Coventry
Jan. 25 @ Louisville
Feb. 1 GlenOak

ORANGEMEN had a scrimmage at cloverleaf yesterday, they looked good although some players were disappointed with team effort. Some players were saying "we could've got after it more, team needs to play solid at all times!" It's finally good to hear some competitiveness come from the team! Look out city series!

JV just annihilated the competition! No games were close! Coach Chad Hazard has the JV on point! There are 3 freshmen starting JV! Here comes that strong freshmen class!

The Orange has a home scrimmage today at 5:30 against Garrettsville. I'll be there to see if the hype is real!

I made it over tonite. Varsity played 7 qtrs. with a 10 minute running clock. Ellet won every qtr. 113-55 was the total combined score.

Ellet guards looked very fast and they easily go 4 deep. Overall they have good depth up and down the lineup. Good size with Gareri (Fr.) and Brady (Soph.) but they need experience.
Jake Williams and Jake Fisher have improved a ton, just a better overall understanding of the game. Fisher is going to be a handful at the point.

Competition was obviously not very good but that changes soon. At Stow on Wednesday and Wadsworth/Hoban on the 23rd.

JV may have fared better than the varsity! Some really nice young players. Two quarters I saw were 20-0 and 23-6.

I won't predict they are ready to knock off Buchtel but they should compete for a spot in that City Championship game. Finally what looks like a fun winter of basketball in Ellet...been a while coming.

The boys looked good again tonight! I am trying to stop myself from getting my hopes too high, but it looks like we may be turning a corner! Not that wins vs. Copley and Tallmadge will result in riots or parades in the streets, but there seems to be excitement from the boys on the team again... haven't seen that in a while around here.

The boys looked good again tonight! I am trying to stop myself from getting my hopes too high, but it looks like we may be turning a corner! Not that wins vs. Copley and Tallmadge will result in riots or parades in the streets, but there seems to be excitement from the boys on the team again... haven't seen that in a while around here.

I thought they played pretty poorly against Tallmadge compared to what I saw against Copley and in a few scrimmages. That's a good thing, have an off night and still get a "W". Fisher has them playing some great defense, that will keep them in a lot of games when they are struggling to make baskets.

Barberton and Kent Roosevelt next weekend back to back will be a good test.

Props to Coach Fisher for coming to see the 5th and 6th grade travel teams play last Sunday at Tallmadge Rec Center and talk the boys afterward. They're teaching those kids the same way, that's how you run and build a program! (6th grade 41-11 over Coventry, 5th grade 23-6 over Coventry).

Freshmen Team???

Hows the freshmen team looking? Who's on the team? Does Coach Tav have any talent left or did JV and Varsity take it? Please list game date and time if you have it thanks!!

Hows the freshmen team looking? Who's on the team? Does Coach Tav have any talent left or did JV and Varsity take it? Please list game date and time if you have it thanks!!

Snaked! The JV roster had at least three or four starting for them last game. The varsity is playing a lot of kids (which is good to see). That means that freshmen have to play up. It is going to be a solid freshmen class, but they are split up at the moment.

Anyone know anything about Kent Roosevelt? I asked about them in the Barberton forum last week, but no one had anything to say. I'm looking forward to this one... let's keep it going!

Snaked! The JV roster had at least three or four starting for them last game. The varsity is playing a lot of kids (which is good to see). That means that freshmen have to play up. It is going to be a solid freshmen class, but they are split up at the moment.

Oh I see, well good for them! I was informed that Coach Tav stepped down for family reasons, and they have the freshmen coach from firestone marques smith dad. I remember him from eba he's a good guy for the job

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about Kent Roosevelt? I asked about them in the Barberton forum last week, but no one had anything to say. I'm looking forward to this one... let's keep it going!

The entire Portage Trail Conference stinks!

Roosevelt lost to Ravenna by 8, Ravenna lost to Field, Field beat Springfield by 6. That's the PTC in a nutshell

Their best win is probably at Coventry 67-61.
They also beat Barberton by 8 and Akron Garfield by 22

If Ellet loses to KR it will be an upset.

Kent tomorrow night. Way to get em tonight guys. I've never seen a more dominating performance by our guys vs Barberton, and I've been around quite a while! I'm going with Citrus guys by 8 tomorrow at home.

Eyes on the prize

The entire ellet coaching staff was spotted at the St-V/firestone and CCC/East games! Coaches Fisher, Jackson, Hazard, and Smith were in attendance. They're really trying to change the "ellet basketball perception!" Haven't seen that type of coaching unity at ellet since the Bruce Moore days! Finally people who care about the program and want to be successful!! Hope this group stays together and turn the juicemen into a force!!!!

I understand that Ellet and Massillon Washington have agreed to play in the 2014-15 season. Great.