Cincy D-1 Players

gostate03

Who from the Cincy (maybe even Dayton?) area is going to a D-1 school next year? I know Walnut Hills has a few and the Davenport kid from Moe, who else? I like to try to get out and see some of the best around when I can.

Who from the Cincy (maybe even Dayton?) area is going to a D-1 school next year? I know Walnut Hills has a few and the Davenport kid from Moe, who else? I like to try to get out and see some of the best around when I can.

These guys from Cincinnati are committed to Division I's........

Kwan Cheatham - Winton Woods (Akron)
Isaiah Johnson - Walnut Hills (Akron)
Kevin Johnson - Summit (Cincinnati)
Josh Davenport - Moeller (Winthrop)
Patrick Wrencher - Moeller (St. Francis - PA)
Tyler Hadden - St. Xavier (Belmont)
Garrett Mayleben - Bowling Green
DJ Wingfield - Walnut Hills (Ohio U)
Antonio Campbell - Covington Catholic, Cincy resident (Ohio U)

Monty Boykins (Lakota West), Austin Grimes (Aiken), Tim Coleman (Withrow), Corey Wise (Withrow) all are being recruited at the Division I level.

Dayton Division I commits.......

Evan Bradds - Jamestown Greenview (Belmont)
Maverick Morgan - Springboro (Illinois)
Zack Denny - Valley View (Bowling Green)

Other guys getting recruited D1: Jaaron Simmons (Kettering Alter), Jamar Hammonds (Trotwood Madison), Mark Alstork (Thurgood), Damarion Geter (Dunbar), Edmond Early (Thurgood), Gerry Green (Thurgood).

I know Boykins can play but when I look at his #'s

FG%- 9th- 38%, 10th- 35%, 11th- 40%
FT%- 9th- 50%, 10th- 63%, 11th- 60%

He is a shooting guard that doesn't shoot very well. What do the D1's see that I don't?

I know Boykins can play but when I look at his #'s

FG%- 9th- 38%, 10th- 35%, 11th- 40%
FT%- 9th- 50%, 10th- 63%, 11th- 60%

He is a shooting guard that doesn't shoot very well. What do the D1's see that I don't?

Athleticism... pretty much that's what gets you recruited now. Also, his shooting % would go up if he didn't take so many awful shots. He won't be allowed to take so many bad shots in college.

These guys from Cincinnati are committed to Division I's........

Kwan Cheatham - Winton Woods (Akron)
Isaiah Johnson - Walnut Hills (Akron)
Kevin Johnson - Summit (Cincinnati)
Josh Davenport - Moeller (Winthrop)
Patrick Wrencher - Moeller (St. Francis - PA)
Tyler Hadden - St. Xavier (Belmont)
Garrett Mayleben - Bowling Green
DJ Wingfield - Walnut Hills (Ohio U)
Antonio Campbell - Covington Catholic, Cincy resident (Ohio U)

Monty Boykins (Lakota West), Austin Grimes (Aiken), Tim Coleman (Withrow), Corey Wise (Withrow) all are being recruited at the Division I level.

That kid ended up at Cov Cath?? They are going to be pretty good if he stays there

Athleticism... pretty much that's what gets you recruited now. Also, his shooting % would go up if he didn't take so many awful shots. He won't be allowed to take so many bad shots in college.

And that is one of the problems with basketball at all levels. What an athlete! Clank! Clank! Dunk! Clank! Give me some shooters.

Dayton Division I commits.......

Evan Bradds - Jamestown Greenview (Belmont)
Maverick Morgan - Springboro (Illinois)
Zack Denny - Valley View (Bowling Green)

Other guys getting recruited D1: Jaaron Simmons (Kettering Alter), Jamar Hammonds (Trotwood Madison), Mark Alstork (Thurgood), Damarion Geter (Dunbar), Edmond Early (Thurgood), Gerry Green (Thurgood).

What D-1 school are looking at Jamar Hammonds (Trotwood Madison), Mark Alstork (Thurgood), Edmond Early (Thurgood), Gerry Green (Thurgood)?

I know I've heard Jaaron Simmons has UD and Xavier offers, I think Damarion Geter is being offered by Winthrop.

All of these kids have a good upside!

And that is one of the problems with basketball at all levels. What an athlete! Clank! Clank! Dunk! Clank! Give me some shooters.

Monty is one of the best shooters in the city. When he goes to college and doesn't get/have to create every time he touches the ball his shooting % will go up. The kid can stroke it.

Monty is one of the best shooters in the city. When he goes to college and doesn't get/have to create every time he touches the ball his shooting % will go up. The kid can stroke it.

Are you saying that the defense won't be as good in D1 as it is in the GMC? I would think it would be more likely that he would have a guy just a tall or taller and as quick or quicker than he is in college. In high school I would think he would usually be a better athlete than the guy guarding him.

Are you saying that the defense won't be as good in D1 as it is in the GMC? I would think it would be more likely that he would have a guy just a tall or taller and as quick or quicker than he is in college. In high school I would think he would usually be a better athlete than the guy guarding him.

No I am saying that in order for his team to win, he has to score. He takes a lot of bad shots IMO, but a bad shot by him is usually going to be better than a good shot by a role player on his team. Teams know that so they focus all of the attention on stopping him. In college he will be a role player and should have much better shot selection.

No I am saying that in order for his team to win, he has to score. He takes a lot of bad shots IMO, but a bad shot by him is usually going to be better than a good shot by a role player on his team. Teams know that so they focus all of the attention on stopping him. In college he will be a role player and should have much better shot selection.

This is not true. There are plenty of players on Lakota West who can score the basketball. It's not like he's playing at New Miami or something. He just shoots too much, plain and simple. In their tournament loss to Turpin he took some of the worst shots I have ever seen and that's why he was 5-17 from the field.

Again, his shooting % will go up in college because a college coach won't let him take the awful shots he takes in high school.

Those free throws are pretty good shots and he makes 60% of them.

This is not true. There are plenty of players on Lakota West who can score the basketball. It's not like he's playing at New Miami or something. He just shoots too much, plain and simple. In their tournament loss to Turpin he took some of the worst shots I have ever seen and that's why he was 5-17 from the field.

Again, his shooting % will go up in college because a college coach won't let him take the awful shots he takes in high school.

There are two other players that can score. Again if he doesn't shoot they won't win. It has been the case for the last few years.

Look at the stats... in games he shot 12 times or less LW won just about every game. In games he shot 16+ times they lost the majority of games. So apparently the more he shoots the less they win.

http://gmcsports.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=181530

The stats prove the point. The only team they beat that was any good was Mason. He scored 25. If he doesn't score they can't win. Every team they played that was any good beat them.

The stats prove the point. The only team they beat that was any good was Mason. He scored 25. If he doesn't score they can't win. Every team they played that was any good beat them.

You can score without taking bad shots. I would rather have a guys who scores 18 points on 12 shots than a guy who scores 25 points on 21 shots. At the Turpin game many of the LW fans were commenting about how much he shoots and the bad shots he takes. It is fairly obvious.

You can score without taking bad shots. I would rather have a guys who scores 18 points on 12 shots than a guy who scores 25 points on 21 shots. At the Turpin game many of the LW fans were commenting about how much he shoots and the bad shots he takes. It is fairly obvious.

Yes you are stating the obvious. You can score without taking bad shots. Everyone would rather have the guy scoring 18 on 12 then 25 on 21 IF someone can make up for the other 7 points. West hasn't shown they can against the good teams which is why he shoots more.

Yes you are stating the obvious. You can score without taking bad shots. Everyone would rather have the guy scoring 18 on 12 then 25 on 21 IF someone can make up for the other 7 points. West hasn't shown they can against the good teams which is why he shoots more.

That would be called... learning how to play as a TEAM.

I have a daughter that is a senior this year and has cheered Mason b-ball since 7th grade. I've had the opportunity to watch Monty every year and I would have to say that he is definitely a D-1 prospect based on my opinion. I wouldn't put too much into the stats, I just think he tries to do too much. A college coach is looking at a lot more than just shooting statistics.

Can anyone give an example of a kid who went to college and his FG% went up? One guy said he can really stroke it. He is a shooting guard barely making 60% of his free throws.

hoopsreport,
greeneview had a another real good player who was ineligible last year, where did he end up? i thought bradds would go higher than belmont.

Belmont is very good Mid Major D I. Above that is ACC, Big Ten, etc. Some HS kids are smart and go where they have best chance to play, fit in, and academics.
Boykins is a DI player and will do just fine wherever he goes.

Boykins can shoot, but he can't handle not being the top dog. Anytime somebody had more points than him, bad shot fired up. If he would be more unselfish, last years team could have made it to state. If he can learn to be good teammate, they could make some real noise this year and he could easily average 15-20 pts per. The other studs on that team are guys that want to win, he is the only one who is worried about stats. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, that is coming from his parents. Hopefully they will back off and let the kid enjoy his senior year.