results for 4-14-12

So, anyone get a meet completed today?

was at Butler, and left around the 400, it was still going on, not sure they got it in...

results from Elk relays anyone?

Dublin Meet?

pretty crummy weather, a stark reminder of OHio Weather during the spring, hopefully, they got it in and everyone was injury free....

So, anyone get a meet completed today?

was at Butler, and left around the 400, it was still going on, not sure they got it in...

results from Elk relays anyone?

Dublin Meet?

pretty crummy weather, a stark reminder of OHio Weather during the spring, hopefully, they got it in and everyone was injury free....

Elk relays got rescheduled to Wednesday after the 4x1600. Last night at Mt Healthy Moeller edged Lasalle 110-109 for the title.

I know they got through some of the field events (disc & shot) out in Georgetown at the Vern Hawkins Invite, but don't know if they got through everything else.

The Coffman invite results are supposed to go up on the Finish Timing site. Nothing is there yet. Congrats to Davidson. You guys looked strong today. Sorry we couldn't arrange decent weather. I will say the Finish Timing guys ran their system well. We were done much more quickly than we have been for years.

The Coffman invite results are supposed to go up on the Finish Timing site. Nothing is there yet. Congrats to Davidson. You guys looked strong today. Sorry we couldn't arrange decent weather. I will say the Finish Timing guys ran their system well. We were done much more quickly than we have been for years.

It was a fun and well-ran meet despite the weather. Thanks for that. Our boys and coaches did a good job keeping track of the score and encouraging the guys in the later events to step up and score where needed, especially in the throws. Meets like this are what makes track fun. Although it often appears track is an individual sport, it is anything but, as a meet like today proves. Down by 19 going into the final events, and the 4x400 pulls it out, thanks to being put into position to do so by some great, late distance and throws efforts. Good job to everyone.

Anone know if the Harrison meet was FAT? It's being reported as if it were FAT. Northwest won as expected, but the surprise was Oak Hills staying that close to them 112-102.

It was a fun and well-ran meet despite the weather. Thanks for that. Our boys and coaches did a good job keeping track of the score and encouraging the guys in the later events to step up and score where needed, especially in the throws. Meets like this are what makes track fun. Although it often appears track is an individual sport, it is anything but, as a meet like today proves. Down by 19 going into the final events, and the 4x400 pulls it out, thanks to being put into position to do so by some great, late distance and throws efforts. Good job to everyone.

Nice 4 x 8 by the Lancaster boys - 8:00.12. Strong time early in the season. Was it windy?

Anone know if the Harrison meet was FAT? It's being reported as if it were FAT. Northwest won as expected, but the surprise was Oak Hills staying that close to them 112-102.

Both Harrison and Loveland Friday reported to the hundredths. Pretty sure neither were FAT.

Nice 4 x 8 by the Lancaster boys - 8:00.12. Strong time early in the season. Was it windy?
Not too windy, just wet and cool, especially near the end of the meet when the heavy rains began. First half of the meet wasn't too bad; intermittent showers. The rain made it hard for the athletes to warm up properly all day, though. Unless they brought a lot of extra warm-ups and uniforms their clothes and shoes were soaked after their first event. So yes, Lancaster's time was very good for those conditions.

Soaked is certainly correct. Lancaster's time was fast even though Kidder did not have to run a particularly fast (for him) race. We ran a tri meet at Lancaster on the 3rd, and they have a bunch of good 800 runners, so just staying on the 4x800 team will be competitive for them. And when you have Kidder anchoring your team is going to be tough.

He isnt to far off from the 800 and 1600. Needs a couple of seconds off in the 1600 to make city top ten list all time. I like his chances.

He was going for his school record - just missed I heard. Went out in a 54 came back in a 61.

The best 800 runners I remember from Anderson was Jeff Justice. He ran cross country for my club team in 1983. I believe he played soccer in the fall for Anderson. At any rate, he was an 800m Cincinnati District AAA champion at Princeton in 1984, ran 1:54.9, don't know if that is the Anderson school record but it is better than Vogele's 1:56.04 at Mt. Healthy last Friday. Justice ran that time off a double as he also won the 1600 at that district meet, a triple if you count the 4 X 800 relay which probably was not run the same night.

The best 800 runners I remember from Anderson was Jeff Justice. He ran cross country for my club team in 1983. I believe he played soccer in the fall for Anderson. At any rate, he was an 800m Cincinnati District AAA champion at Princeton in 1984, ran 1:54.9, don't know if that is the Anderson school record but it is better than Vogele's 1:56.04 at Mt. Healthy last Friday. Justice ran that time off a double as he also won the 1600 at that district meet, a triple if you count the 4 X 800 relay which probably was not run the same night.

Jeff Justice is the record holder. I cant remember who holds the 1600 meter record but i think it is roughly 415. Not sure how low he can go until he is challenged. I think the closest he has had in the 1600 is 5 seconds and 2.5-3 seconds in the 800.

Jeff Justice is the record holder. I cant remember who holds the 1600 meter record but i think it is roughly 415. Not sure how low he can go until he is challenged. I think the closest he has had in the 1600 is 5 seconds and 2.5-3 seconds in the 800.

Here's the bests I have from Anderson:

800m - 1:54.9 - Jeff Justice (AAA) (Sr), 1st, Cincinnati District, 18 May 1984
880yd - 1:55.0 (~1:54.4 800m) - Reed Redmond (AAA) (Sr), 1st, Earle Redmond Memorial - Sr. Division, 20 May 1974

1600m - 4:14.86 - Sean Proffitt (AAA) (Sr), 2nd, State, 6 Jun 1987
Mile - 4:18.2 (~4:16.7 1600) - Mike Shields (AAA) (Jr), 2nd, Lockland Sectional - Section #1, 11 May 1973

Jeff didn't run the 4x800 that night. It was Mitchell, Byers, Reed and Burt, I believe. I want to say he ran the 3200m, but, obviously, finished well off the pace. 4x800 was on final's day for at least all the 80s.

880yd - 1:55.0 (~1:54.4 800m) - Reed Redmond (AAA) (Sr), 1st, Earle Redmond Memorial - Sr. Division, 20 May 1974

Mile - 4:18.2 (~4:16.7 1600) - Mike Shields (AAA) (Jr), 2nd, Lockland Sectional - Section #1, 11 May 1973

He should pass the 1600 meter record by a bit if things progress the way they have been and he is in striking distance for the 800. Also i think the 3200 relay record is jeporady with voegle and batt well under 2 minutes and two others in the 200 minute range i see a sub 8 minute3200 relay come district or regional time.

Do you know who won the Lockland Sectional ahead of Mike Shields? What place did they come in at State that year? Thank you

He should pass the 1600 meter record by a bit if things progress the way they have been and he is in striking distance for the 800. Also i think the 3200 relay record is jeporady with voegle and batt well under 2 minutes and two others in the 200 minute range i see a sub 8 minute3200 relay come district or regional time.

For the 3200 relay, 8:14.9 is the SB which was ran the first weekend. The second fastest time that day according to the results was about 40 seconds back and it was the Anderson "B" team. The 4x8's ran in other meets are most likely "B" teams. Here are the top 4 times for reference.

Boys 800 Meter Run

1:56.04

Vogele, Nick

Mount Healthy Owls Invitational

2012-04-13

1:59.50

Batt, Sean

Coaches Classic Prelim

2012-04-02

2:01.12

Gallagher, Casey

Mount Healthy Owls Invitational

2012-04-13

2:02.20

Powell, Kameron

Coaches Classic Prelim

2012-04-04

*Times add up to a 7:58.84, which would be leading the state as of now. They also have Zach Farmer in reserve who returns a time of 2:02.78 from the District meet last spring.

FWIW, Batt (and potientially Powell) was faster than listed, but due to the FAT not working properly during the Mason prelims, some genius decided to just add .3 in between each placer, when the race was much closer than that.

Do you know who won the Lockland Sectional ahead of Mike Shields? What place did they come in at State that year? Thank you

Elder's Pat Galvin just edged out Shields for the win, both given the same time of 4:18.2 for the mile, and both remain as the fastest 1600m/mile times ever run in that district meet (now the Mason district). The fastest 1600m is a 4:18.9 by Moeller's Kenny Dunbar in 2000, but is inferior by about 2 seconds to the mile times.

In 1973, Shields placed 4th at the State meet in 4:21.0. Galvin placed 9th.

On another note on that same district meet...in 1962, Deer Park's state champion miler Andy Schramm slaughtered his previous meet record (the old Cincinnati Section of the SW Ohio district Class AA meet) by some 12+ seconds in running 4:18.9 for the mile on cinders at Trechter Stadium (located where Cincinnati State is now). Schramm was the all-time best miler in Ohio HS history at that point, running 3 times under the 4:20 mark that spring.

The results I have from 1973 show Galvin of Elder winning in 4:18.2 and Shields having the same time. Wow! That must have been a race.

As for the state meet, Mike Shields was 4th in 4:21.0. Galvin didn't score. That was the year Jim Schnur of Oak Hills won state in the 440 yard dash in 48.4. He went on to coach the field events at UC. Mike Shields brother Gary was one of my coaches on my club team.

Galvin was second at the regional in 4:18.6 and once again tied for the same time with the winner who was Denton of Piqua. What is interesting is that according to the Dayton Daily News both were given credit for setting a new regional record breaking Pat Galvin record set only the previous year in 4:22. JAVMAN83 can tell us if that is the correct procedure. My belief is that only the winner gets credit for the record. Shields finished 4th at the regional to become the last qualifier to state.

Last edited:
The results I have from 1973 show Galvin of Elder winning in 4:18.2 and Shields having the same time. Wow! That must have been a race.

As for the state meet, Mike Shields was 4th in 4:21.0. Galvin didn't score. That was the year Jim Schnur of Oak Hills won state in the 440 yard dash in 48.4. He went on the coach the field events at UC. Mike Shields brother Gary was one of my coaches on my club team.

Galvin was second at the regional in 4:18.6 and once again tied for the same time with the winner who was Denton of Piqua. What is interesting is that according to the Dayton Daily News both were given credit for setting a new regional record breaking Pat Galvin record set only last year in 4:22. Shields finsihed 4th at the regional to become the last qualifier to state.

Jim Schnur spent a bit of time as an athlete at UC and as an Olympic Trials qualifier prior to becoming coach at UC in the fall of 1984. Jim was ranked #4 in the US in 1982, and set a PR of 7870 points (1962 tables) during the spring of 1984 at the age of 30. Ahh, those were the days.

Elder's Pat Galvin just edged out Shields for the win, both given the same time of 4:18.2 for the mile, and both remain as the fastest 1600m/mile times ever run in that district meet (now the Mason district). The fastest 1600m is a 4:18.9 by Moeller's Kenny Dunbar in 2000, but is inferior by about 2 seconds to the mile times.

In 1973, Shields placed 4th at the State meet in 4:21.0. Galvin placed 9th.

On another note on that same district meet...in 1962, Deer Park's state champion miler Andy Schramm slaughtered his previous meet record (the old Cincinnati Section of the SW Ohio district Class AA meet) by some 12+ seconds in running 4:18.9 for the mile on cinders at Trechter Stadium (located where Cincinnati State is now). Schramm was the all-time best miler in Ohio HS history at that point, running 3 times under the 4:20 mark that spring.

Thank you very much Javaman, State meet was a little slower in 73 as I recall it was about 90 degrees. I have a picture from the race and now I think the guy with the big A on his chest must have been Shields.

Thank you very much Javaman, State meet was a little slower in 73 as I recall it was about 90 degrees. I have a picture from the race and now I think the guy with the big A on his chest must have been Shields.

You're welcome. Ahh, yes, the flying "A" of Anderson.

FYI - My handle is JAVMAN83. I was a spear-chucker in my earlier days in college; hence, the name JAVMAN. It doesn't represent any love for little brown beans :)

You're welcome. Ahh, yes, the flying "A" of Anderson.

FYI - My handle is JAVMAN83. I was a spear-chucker in my earlier days in college; hence, the name JAVMAN. It doesn't represent any love for little brown beans :)

Sorry Javman83. I added an extra a. I must have been recalling an old anthropology class. Again thank you for the expert information.