Vision Quest

The same reason why all the hot chicks in scary movies go into "that" room armed with nothing more than a ripped t-shirt and a G-string. If they didn't there would be no movie.

We had several autographed copies of the book to auction off at Wrestle Against Autism two years ago. The author was great for donating them.

This is my favorite part. Louden sitting watching shute train. Shute looks at him and says " You gonna make the cut? " Turns around and keeps training.
something like that anyway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

6a00d8341c5d9653ef0120a78825aa970b.jpg

It's actually something like...
Loudon - "hey Schute!"
Cooch - "careful"
Schute - " do i know you"
Loudon - "Loudon...Loudon Swain, Thompson High"
Schute - "think you'll make the weight?"
Loudon - "hope so"
Schute - "I hope so too"
....and back down the steps with the rediculously large log across his shoulders...lol

I'm not sure why Schute didn't bump up, but I think Louden was also a state champ as a junior. The weight cut was a big part of it, he wanted to push himself to the maximum to make it, test his limits.

Wonder how many wrestling rooms still have peg boards, and if so, are they being used as a test to determine if a wrestler can drop a weight class (or two) and challenge for a wrestle-off?

One of my favorite lines in the movie is when Loudon and Cooch get on the bus right after Loudon witnesses Cooch's drunken old man slap him around...
Loudon - "Carla caught me with my nose in her panties the other day"
Cooch - "She woke up huh?"
Loudon - "they weren't on her at the time a__hole"

Speaking of the peg board...I never did try that thing. The only one I can remember seeing was at Lockland.

Watkins Memorial has a rather nice one. I did it. ...and my abs still haven't recovered! I didn't realize how much stomach was used on that thing.

His buddy that he works with at the hotel, Elmo I believe his name is, has a great piece of advice for wrestlers of all ages...
"It's not just about the six minutes...it's what you do in those six minutes that matters"

Words to live by my friends!!!

One of my favorite lines in the movie is when Loudon and Cooch get on the bus right after Loudon witnesses Cooch's drunken old man slap him around...
Loudon - "Carla caught me with my nose in her panties the other day"
Cooch - "She woke up huh?"
Loudon - "they weren't on her at the time a__hole"

Speaking of the peg board...I never did try that thing. The only one I can remember seeing was at Lockland.

Great quote Warrior!

"Win Win" was a better all-around film. The filmakers made a concerted attempt to make the wrestling look as real as they could, casting an actual NJ State Champ. Its not as inspirational as "Vision Quest" though. Where, as stated earlier, "Vision Quest" is about the journey of a wrestler, while "Win Win" depicts the life of a troubled kid who happens to wrestle. And you cant go wrong with Paul Giamatti and Bobby Cannavale.

The best way to put the difference between the two is "Win Win" is a movie you can watch with your wife and both enjoy", "Vision Quest" is a movie you can watch with your wrestlers and not only enjoy but also draw some inspiration from.

Last edited:
"Win Win" was a better all-around film. The filmakers made a concerted attempt to make the wrestling look as real as they could, casting an actual NJ State Champ. Its not as inspirational as "Vision Quest" though. Where, as stated earlier, "Vision Quest" is about the journey of a wrestler, while "Win Win" depicts the life of a troubled kid who happens to wrestle. And you cant go wrong with Paul Giamatti and Bobby Cannavale.

The best way to put the difference between the two is "Win Win" is a movie you can watch with your wife and both enjoy", "Vision Quest" is a movie you can watch with your wrestlers and not only enjoy but also draw some inspiration from.

Yeah, I saw that movie as well. Didn't realize that about that kid. Someone said that he had to give up wrestling because of a back injury? You could tell he knew what he was doing.

I'm not sure why Schute didn't bump up, but I think Louden was also a state champ as a junior. The weight cut was a big part of it, he wanted to push himself to the maximum to make it, test his limits.

I think he says that he made the state semifinals the year before, which was his first year wrestling. I seem to remember him telling Carla that.

My boys watched that movie when they were still in youth wrestling and then tried to pin every kid they wrestled that year with the double chicken wing. My youngest is in 7th grade now and still pulls that move out whenever he can.

The director said that the reason for the 2 point breakdown... or them going out of bounds and starting in top, bottom position for that matter... is that when he went to the editing room. When he went to edit the film he realized there was not enough usable wrestling footage from the Schute match. The actors had moved on to other projects and refilming was impossible. He had to splice it together the best he could.

I think he says that he made the state semifinals the year before, which was his first year wrestling. I seem to remember him telling Carla that.

I meant in the novel.

In the movie, Swain tells Karla, "damn near when the distance in my first year."

I meant in the novel.

In the movie, Swain tells Karla, "damn near when the distance in my first year."

Ah. I haven't read the book, actually. I find it hard to read books after seeing the movie adaptation- definitely better to do it the other way around. This is especially true if you know the movie well or have seen it recently.

His buddy that he works with at the hotel, Elmo I believe his name is, has a great piece of advice for wrestlers of all ages...
"It's not just about the six minutes...it's what you do in those six minutes that matters"

Words to live by my friends!!!

that is my work e-mail quote...