Tournament Assignments Are Out

Thank God they moved the district out of Alliance. The people there were great, don't get me wrong, but not a facility worthy of that district when there are better facilities out there. Is New Philly D-I now? If so, they're gonna get a harsh welcome to the big time in that district.

The big question is will regional alignments stay the same... if so, the old Ellet schools and old alliance districts are now in completely different regionals. Twinsburg getting shifted to Ellet along with Walsh will be intriguing (although Walsh isn't as good as they've been in years past right?). Wadsworth got the switch a lot have been looking for but took almost their whole district with them :cool:

Big change in D-II/D-III is Manchester moved up to D-II. Jumped into the Lake district with Marlington, Hoban, etc. St V's moving to Hathaway Brown's district is a tough move for them.

One last thought, Solon's post-season just got a lot better. No more Twinsburg in districts.

Last edited:
If Ellet and Canton are separated, Twinsburg and McKinley are separated. Don't they want the last two state champs going in different directions. That way the will possibly meet in Columbus. But, we won't know until the regional assignments are released.

Richland, I used confusing wording I apologize. Most of the OLD Ellet schools (ie Wadsworth) and the OLD Alliance schools (ie McK) would now be in separate regionals.

Twinsburg is in the 'New' Ellet and would still be in the Canton regional. In fact, if memory serves the Ellet winner will face the Alliance(Walsh) winner in the first round of regionals this year unless the OHSAA changes up the order.

Since there are now 7 districts in the Northeast it would appear that one district winner will head to Columbus for the regional. Most likely that would be the Walsh college winner with Medina and Elyria Catholic winners going to the Northwest regional. That info should be available soon.

Reassignment

I think this will open up the Districts for many teams to compete for a chance at States. This makes it VERY easy for Twinsburg, Canton McKinley and Midpark to advance, not much competition left. Solon and Shaker will have to battle it out, I like Firestone and Wadsworth, for all the possible State contenders.

Since there are now 7 districts in the Northeast it would appear that one district winner will head to Columbus for the regional. Most likely that would be the Walsh college winner with Medina and Elyria Catholic winners going to the Northwest regional. That info should be available soon.

Good point on the 7 districts.... would be a shame for the Canton winner to not get to play in the Canton regional tho. :cool:

I think this will open up the Districts for many teams to compete for a chance at States. This makes it VERY easy for Twinsburg, Canton McKinley and Midpark to advance, not much competition left. Solon and Shaker will have to battle it out, I like Firestone and Wadsworth, for all the possible State contenders.

I agree. With Strongsville and Magnificat no longer in it, who do you think would meet up with Midpark in the district finals? I would guess the early favorite would have to be North Royalton. But wouldn't surprise me if a Medina, Parma, Normandy, Brecksville, or St. Joe Academy was that other team. It's a huge dropoff from Midpark to the second team in the district. In my opinion, it could be any of them;however, at this moment, I think it's a safe bet that it could very well be a North Royalton-Midpark district championship...

Hudson, Stow, and Walsh Jesuit should give Twinsburg a fight, but I see them coming out of there. In the Walsh district, McKinley has Hoover and Perry in it. If Midpark, McKinley, and Twinsburg have "C" or "D" type of night in district championship game, I feel Midpark has best chance to come over it and still win...other two have schools that can make you pay for your mistakes. Not sure how many in Midpark's district can give them a game, and beat them if Midpark isn't playing well...

Twinsburg is too deep for any of those schools to compete. They have so much depth where they can sub all five and still be fine against those teams. If I had to choose I would pick Aurora and Hudson over Walsh and Stow. The team to meet up with Midpark I would say North Royalton or St. Joe. Canton Mc Kinley would have to have an "F" night for any of those teams to touch them. I also like Magnificat and Westlake for Elyria.

Last edited:
Too bad the district in Alliance is gone....the district did a nice job with the hospitality to coaches and running a great tourmament.....as far as the venue, when the school made improvements to it facility, I thought it was a great facility....Walsh will be a great venue for the tourney as well, and the seating for students behind the hoop should be outstanding!!!

Chocolate, the staff at Alliance was top-notch and they ran a very nice tournament, it was just the seating/views that were hard to deal with. Walsh's arena with a big crowd will be awesome :cool:

Westlake's dominant player Kalpana Beech is now at OSU-maybe they have a shot-but I don't see it happening for them this year.

Same type of politics used in Ellet District. No City teams at Ellet? City teams sent to Medina??? Nordonia and Twinsburg are minutes away from Bedford but sent to Ellet. Could it be that NEO Board members at Solon and Kenston did not want Twinsburg at Ellet with them??? There are 11 Division One schools in Summit County and they are divided up into 3 different didtricts?
All NEO Board agruments fail when put to test.

Wow.. some new faces up in D3... Barberton has some strength there to be sure, but a lot of beatable teams... a pretty typical D-3 district :). I don't know all the teams, but Mogadore is generally pretty strong... not sure what they have this year. St Thomas is usually solid but not dangerous as far as long tournament runs. Elyria Catholic WAS state level but graduated just about every top player they had. Don't know much about berkshire, cardinal, and columbia station. Maybe someone can help out there?

Do not count EC out. They have athletes who will learn to play together. McNamara is a solid shooter who they can depend on and proved herself as a sophomore in the tournament. Their schedule is loaded and will be tested before they get into the playoffs. Lorain County will provide some good teams this year.