Could anyone ever imagine Elder doing this?

JElder

20th annual Youth Basketball Coaches Clinic
Archbishop Moeller High School is hosting the 20th annual Youth Basketball Coaches Clinic from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday November 5, at the school. The clinic is designed for those who are coaching boys and girls in third grade through eighth grade.
Speakers include University of Dayton Head Coach Archie Miller (Fundamentals of Basketball), as well as Moeller Coaches: Matt Rooks (Principles of Shooting), Tim Edmonds (Special Situations), Dan Ragland (fundamentals of Defense), Mike Sussli (Rebounding) and Carl Kremer (Simulated Grade school practice)
The cost is $30.00 for pre-registration and $40.00 at the door, which include lunch, T-shirt, gift bags and door prizes. Discount for 8 or more coaches from the same school $20.00 per person.
You may register online: www.letsgobigmoe.com or please send pre-registration checks to Moeller Basketball, c/o Dan Ragland, 9001 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati,, Ohio 45242. For more information call 791-1680, ext.1946, www.moeller.org

Not only does it draw coaches and grade school players to see the facilities you also have to click on Moe's link to pre-register. What a great and off the beaten path way of free advertising. not to mention it makes money. I found this on Lance's site. Between the TV commericials, billboards, camps, and many other things Moe does that people would quit complaining about their success and start to immulate it. :shrug:

Last edited:
If Pat Kelsay were the coach yes. Sadly, Elder will be bad in bball for a very long time. Thats why I put all my rooting interest in football. Looks like we are the overall GCL doormat.

I'm curious as to how the majority of fans feel about this though. Would most alums like or dislike for Elder to pursue kids in the same way Moe has for both regular and athletic students?

I'm curious as to how the majority of fans feel about this though. Would most alums like or dislike for Elder to pursue kids in the same way Moe has for both regular and athletic students?

I would absolutely love it and encourage it to the max.

I'm not sure if it's new but I just noticed it today, but Moeller has a billboard on Westwood/Queen City by Murray's pub...

I'm not sure if it's new but I just noticed it today, but Moeller has a billboard on Westwood/Queen City by Murray's pub...

Wow, they are going all over the city. Their sports teams are certainly reaping the benefits of this aggressive, city wide recruitment effort.

The big advantage Moeller has over Elder is that Moeller will give full rides out to kids if they are athletic worthy. Elder would never do something like that.

Recruiting grade school kids to your high school is all legal. Doesn't matter if it is for academics, athletics, art, or band. All legal and Elder doesn't do it. Elder's recruiting effors have fallen dramatically for some reason?

Recruiting grade school kids to your high school is all legal. Doesn't matter if it is for academics, athletics, art, or band. All legal and Elder doesn't do it. Elder's recruiting effors have fallen dramatically for some reason?

Its all admissions fault. If Elder continues to be bad at fball, blame them for not being more proactive.

Archbishop Moeller High School is hosting the 20th annual Youth Basketball Coaches Clinic from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday November 5, at the school. The clinic is designed for those who are coaching boys and girls in third grade through eighth grade.
Speakers include University of Dayton Head Coach Archie Miller (Fundamentals of Basketball), as well as Moeller Coaches: Matt Rooks (Principles of Shooting), Tim Edmonds (Special Situations), Dan Ragland (fundamentals of Defense), Mike Sussli (Rebounding) and Carl Kremer (Simulated Grade school practice)
The cost is $30.00 for pre-registration and $40.00 at the door, which include lunch, T-shirt, gift bags and door prizes. Discount for 8 or more coaches from the same school $20.00 per person.
You may register online: www.letsgobigmoe.com or please send pre-registration checks to Moeller Basketball, c/o Dan Ragland, 9001 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati,, Ohio 45242. For more information call 791-1680, ext.1946, www.moeller.org

I believe Elder used to have a youth basketball coaches clinic, maybe not on this level but they did have a clinic. I remember attending one probably 10 - 12 years ago. I don't know if they still do that or not.

I've been to this camp a few times. It's extremely well run and a brilliant idea. It really connects Moeller's staff with grade school coaches. If you are a good grade school basketball player, especially in cyo, those guys know about you.

I've been to this camp a few times. It's extremely well run and a brilliant idea. It really connects Moeller's staff with grade school coaches. If you are a good grade school basketball player, especially in cyo, those guys know about you.

A lot of the coaches in the CYO have big connections to Moe which helps keep kids away from X too. I've heard it's a must do if you are a coach or good basketball player.

I believe Elder used to have a youth basketball coaches clinic, maybe not on this level but they did have a clinic. I remember attending one probably 10 - 12 years ago. I don't know if they still do that or not.

I know they still do the little summer camps which are completely for fun, but certainly nothing like this...

I don't think Elder ever "recruited" so I don't believe their efforts ever fell off. I just think that doing nothing has finally caught up to them from a sports perspective.

I know they still do the little summer camps which are completely for fun, but certainly nothing like this...

I'm not talking about the summer camps for kids, they actually had youth basketball coaches come to Elder for a coaches clinic. Like I said it has been 10-12 years since I attended one, don't know if it was an annual thing or a one time thing.

From what I remember they had Elder players out on the floor demonstrating drills etc while the coaches talked.

I remember this also awhile back, it had something to do with the western basketball conference and I think we even received our league schedules on that night, but it was only for coaches and they mainly showed up to get their schedules. of course it had nothing to do with recruiting but i always enjoyed going and actually used some of the drills they showed, I also remember thinking that Joe S was a very good speaker and the players seemed to enjoy doing it.

I'm not talking about the summer camps for kids, they actually had youth basketball coaches come to Elder for a coaches clinic. Like I said it has been 10-12 years since I attended one, don't know if it was an annual thing or a one time thing.

From what I remember they had Elder players out on the floor demonstrating drills etc while the coaches talked.

You and I have had our differences in the past, but I'm curious to your opinion about Elder recruiting in general compared to the other GCL schools. Do you like how the school/programs are handling "recruiting" or do you think they should be more proactive like I've been stating for a few years? I'm not asking to debate you I'm just wondering how you feel about the situation.

I don't think Elder ever "recruited" so I don't believe their efforts ever fell off. I just think that doing nothing has finally caught up to them from a sports perspective.

From a sports standpoint they actually did a very good job bringing in local talent in the 05 and 06 freshman classes. But I think the credit for that goes almost solely to one person who wasn't involved at all in coaching a sport. Unfortutunately he's not in that position anymore. The only good player on the west side those two years that didn't go to Elder was Tank Carradine (Current FSU starting DE) and he was supposed to until the last minute. A few ended up transferring but they still got all the talent on the west-side those two years and it showed a few years later on the varsity levels in football, baseball and track and field.

Since then it has fallen off dramatically. It's to the point now where I really dont think they do anything at all to attract kids or their families. I still think Elder has the mindset of everyone will come to them and I dont think that really holds up anymore with the changing demographics. When LaSalle and Moeller are getting kids out of Price Hill like thye have been it certainly makes me question things. The coaches never really have done anything in football or basketball. They are way behind the 8-ball compared to St X and Moeller. Like I said a few weeks ago I pass about 3 Moeller billboards everyday on my way to work and see their commercials on ESPN all the time. They are being extremely pro-active and it is paying off big-time for them.

But I think the credit for that goes almost solely to one person who wasn't involved at all in coaching a sport. Unfortutunately he's not in that position anymore. The only good player on the west side those two years that didn't go to Elder was Tank Carradine (Current FSU starting DE) and he was supposed to until the last minute. A few ended up transferring but they still got all the talent on the west-side those two years and it showed a few years later on the varsity levels in football, baseball and track and field.

I don't know if I would give all the credit to this guy. Remember, Elder won back to back state titles in football in '02 and '03(classes of '03 and '04). Those state titles had more to do with the influx of talent in the '05 and '06 freshman classes than anything else. Just my opinion.

You and I have had our differences in the past, but I'm curious to your opinion about Elder recruiting in general compared to the other GCL schools. Do you like how the school/programs are handling "recruiting" or do you think they should be more proactive like I've been stating for a few years? I'm not asking to debate you I'm just wondering how you feel about the situation.

I think you know what my opinion is on this. We have discussed it many times in the past here on Yappi. Basically my feeling is Elder should focus on the westside neighborhoods it has traditionally serviced. Anyone who wants to attend Elder High School should have that opportunity, whether it is a traditional feeder school student or a student at any of the public schools throughout the westside. I would hope that no one is ever turned away because they cannot afford the tuition, and by all accounts I have heard no one ever has. Now some may feel like their child (or the parent) shouldn't have to work at the school to "earn" some of his tuition and to them I say sorry but that is not what Elder is about. I recently heard that Elder spends $2.7 million dollars on financial aid each year which goes to over 50% of the student body. To me it sounds like they are doing their part.

Elder should work hard to make sure that WESTSIDE kids (both private and public) are aware of what Elder has to offer academically, spiritually and last athletically. In the past they have put up billboards (I know as recent as last year that was done) on the westside (at least for one year I know they had a billboard on I75 between the Mitchell Ave and I-74 exits). Maybe Elder has found that billboards aren't worth the investment I don't know why we are not seeing them this year. In my opinion high school should be a "neighborhood" experience so I really don't want to see Elder placing billboards in Anderson Township or the Northern Suburbs trying to attract kids from there.

As far as recruiting for sports I'm against it. I don't think our coaches should be out there attending youth sports games to recruit kids and I don't think it should be allowed for any high school. Again, I prefer high school sports to be a neighborhood experience. Of course I'm no PB06 either, so losing seasons for my favorite high school really has no affect on my life at all. Certainly I enjoy a successful season as much as anyone but if we have a bad year it's really no big deal to me. Some of you guys take high school sports way to seriously, and it's more than just PB06 he is just more obvious about it.

I think you know what my opinion is on this. We have discussed it many times in the past here on Yappi. Basically my feeling is Elder should focus on the westside neighborhoods it has traditionally serviced. Anyone who wants to attend Elder High School should have that opportunity, whether it is a traditional feeder school student or a student at any of the public schools throughout the westside. I would hope that no one is ever turned away because they cannot afford the tuition, and by all accounts I have heard no one ever has. Now some may feel like their child (or the parent) shouldn't have to work at the school to "earn" some of his tuition and to them I say sorry but that is not what Elder is about. I recently heard that Elder spends $2.7 million dollars on financial aid each year which goes to over 50% of the student body. To me it sounds like they are doing their part.

Elder should work hard to make sure that WESTSIDE kids (both private and public) are aware of what Elder has to offer academically, spiritually and last athletically. In the past they have put up billboards (I know as recent as last year that was done) on the westside (at least for one year I know they had a billboard on I75 between the Mitchell Ave and I-74 exits). Maybe Elder has found that billboards aren't worth the investment I don't know why we are not seeing them this year. In my opinion high school should be a "neighborhood" experience so I really don't want to see Elder placing billboards in Anderson Township or the Northern Suburbs trying to attract kids from there.

As far as recruiting for sports I'm against it. I don't think our coaches should be out there attending youth sports games to recruit kids and I don't think it should be allowed for any high school. Again, I prefer high school sports to be a neighborhood experience. Of course I'm no PB06 either, so losing seasons for my favorite high school really has no affect on my life at all. Certainly I enjoy a successful season as much as anyone but if we have a bad year it's really no big deal to me. Some of you guys take high school sports way to seriously, and it's more than just PB06 he is just more obvious about it.

VOR, you are living in denial then. HS sports are not a neighborhood experience. I am all for recruiting to stay competitive. If you want Elder to continually be the laughing stock of the GCL in sports, fine. However, those of us who care want them to do what it takes to win. And if it is not illegal, they need to do it.

I think we agree on more things than you think. I actually agree with most of your thoughts in this post. I don't think the admissions director is doing her part, but I'm the first to admit that I've only heard rumors. I do believe in the theory that where theres smoke there's usually fire though.

I think the main thing we disagree on is that Elder coaches should be more proactive (IMO) in getting kids to play for them at the grade school/jr hi level. There's nothing illegal with it and everyone else is doing it so I just don't get why Elder wouldn't do the same thing.

I think we agree on more things than you think. I actually agree with most of your thoughts in this post. I don't think the admissions director is doing her part, but I'm the first to admit that I've only heard rumors. I do believe in the theory that where theres smoke there's usually fire though.

I think the main thing we disagree on is that Elder coaches should be more proactive (IMO) in getting kids to play for them at the grade school/jr hi level. There's nothing illegal with it and everyone else is doing it so I just don't get why Elder wouldn't do the same thing.

Elder won't do it b/c of stupidity.

Well if it's not illegal it should be, that's my point. That's not what high school sports should be about. Where does the craziness end?

VOR, you are living in denial then. HS sports are not a neighborhood experience. I am all for recruiting to stay competitive. If you want Elder to continually be the laughing stock of the GCL in sports, fine. However, those of us who care want them to do what it takes to win. And if it is not illegal, they need to do it.

Why don't you take a week off from Yappi........we would all benefit from it!

Well if it's not illegal it should be, that's my point. That's not what high school sports should be about. Where does the craziness end?

It does not matter how you feel it should be. It is what it is. I do not necessarily like it, but I want Elder to compete. Elder football sucks right now, plain and simple. Top to bottom it is a mess. The sophmores and 6-7 good juniors are the only worthwhile players in this mess. You might feel all warm and fuzzy seeing a neighbor boy catch a td, but who really cares if they lose 56-7?